In 1866 William Green, founder of Grenson, stopped producing shoes in his own home to become a “factor” instead. He now needed for formalize the new arrangement, and set up a new company, which became known as William Green & Son.
The new company attracted some of the finest shoe and craftsmen in the business, and William organized for the first factory to be opened 1874.
The “Greens Yard” factory was the first factory in the world to use the Goodyear welt construction method for manufacturing gentlemen’s shoes. Green & Son soon became Grenson, a powerful brand which still dominates the shoe industry today!